Abandoned Singapore: Pasir Panjang Power Station

Pasir Panjang Power Station was Singapore’s second power station, following on from the nearby St James Power Station. It officially opened on 3 July 1953 and was finally decommissioned in 1997 with the expansion of newer facilities at Pulau Seraya, Senoko and Tuas.

The striking red brick facade, punctuated by white framed round and square windows is reminiscent of British industrial aesthetics of the era and was built by the British company George Wimpey and company.

The interior of the power station has been stripped of all machinery since its closure, with large open halls where the turbines and boilers once stood. According to Resident Engineer Mr J.W. Marshall, who was in charge of the installation of the plant at the new power station, building the first generator in 23 months was very nearly a world record. The first generator, with a capacity of 25,000 kilowatts, was then carrying about two-thirds of the Singapore’s electricity load. [1]

Round windows inside one the administrative rooms on the upper floors.

Seen through the heavy rainstorm one can just make out the nearby residential development Reflections at Keppel Bay

Power supplied by the station helped launch Singapore’s big industrial push in the 1960s. With demand already reaching 105.7 MW in at the point of the commissioning of the sixth alternator, an additional 25 kW was added to Pasir Panjang ‘A’ station’s capacity in 1962. With demand increasing,  the construction of a new station, the ‘B’ station, commenced soon after  in 1963. [2]

The site has great potential for adaptive reuse and will be integrated with the wider Greater Southern Waterfront development.


Posted

in

, ,

by

Tags: